Thursday, March 20, 2008

Woe is me (and a little about embroidery)

My body is trying to get sick I think. I don't want to get sick, I hate being sick, I don't have time to be sick. Dammit.

I currently have 2 projects in progress. The first is a pair of embroidered pillowcases and I'm working on a knitted afghan. I'm mainly working on the pillowcases, since I know I'm giving those away as a gift. Not sure who's going to be getting them though. I'll try to get some progress pictures up tomorrow.

I'm glad that I started a new embroidery project. Since it was really the first craft that I learned, it kind of feels like home to me. Every time I put needle and thread to cloth I can picture my grandmother teaching me to make each stitch that summer I was nine years old. She always had scrap material on hand. The summer she taught me to embroider, she took a square of fabric and drew straight lines, curved lines, flowers, dots, etc. on it. Then she taught me the stem stitch, which I practiced until she deemed it perfect. Then she showed me how to do a lazy daisy chain stitch and then french knots and then how to put everything together. Then I got to work on my very own pillowcase. I remember it was three kittens. I think I still have that pillowcase somewhere.

No comments: