Friday, August 22, 2008

Mmmmm...Pie!

I tried something new for supper last night. A recipe I got from a friend at work for tomato pie. Of all the things you can make into pies, who would ever think that tomatoes would be one of the yummiest? Not all that healthy, but yummy still. I'm sure it can be made more healthy though. Maybe next time.

The recipe:

1 pie crust, baked according to package instructions (I used Mrs. Smith's Deep Dish)
4 medium-large tomatoes, peeled and sliced
1 package bacon
fresh basil
1 cup mayonaise
1 cup shredded mozarella
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar

Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Seed and slice tomatoes. Lay slices on a paper towel lined pan and sprinkle lightly with salt.
Cut bacon into pieces and brown.
In a separate bowl, mix together the mayonaise and cheeses.
After the pie crust and the bacon has cooled, assemble the pie.
Layer half the tomatoes on bottom of pie crust. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Add a few basil leaves. Sprinkle with half the bacon. After all the tomatoes and bacon have been used, spread the mayonaise and cheese mixture over the top.
Bake for 30 minutes or uintil the top of the pie is golden brown.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Slice and enjoy! Serves about 6.

I wish I had thought to take a picture before we demolished it.

1 comment:

Sara said...

well, I know what we'll be asking for at the next GTG!