Thursday, November 27, 2008

Gobble, Gobble

This year I have had a ton of things to be thankful for. As always, I have an awesome husband. For example, he had Wednesday off. I came home from working late and what did I see when I pulled into the driveway? Michael had put up all of our outside Christmas decorations. He also organized our guestroom and pulled out all of our other Christmas decorations. That's just one small example of his awesomeness. There are a million others.

In addition to Michael I am also thankful for the work opportunities that have come my way in the past year. Last December, after being at my current job for 6 1/2 years I figured that any promotions I got would have to come from finding a new job, but a new career pathing program was established. Last January I received a promotion and a 10% raise and the guarantee of eventually being able to move up more.

In the past week and a half I've gotten even more good news. Last week, I was called into my big boss's office. That, no matter how great my work is, always puts fear in my heart. He quickly put me at ease, though, when he asked me to take my current supervisor's place after she retires. Her last day is December 19. I was very surprised and shocked...and over the moon happy, not to mention scared and nervous. I've never been a supervisor before. Given the current economic situation right now I am very surprised that I will also be getting a raise to go along with my new promotion.

Then, last weekend, my father told me that once I get my last student loan paid down to under $5000, he would pay the rest of it! I never expected to hear those words out of my father's mouth. That cuts my remaining amount of time paying F*ing Sallie Mae off in half.

And then this morning I realized exactly how many friends I have. I was on Facebook trying to send Thanksgiving wishes to everyone, but with over 130 people, it was just too daunting. Granted, some of those people on my friend list are aquaintances, but many of them I grew up with or I've learned so many things from and would do anything for.

There's more that I'm thankful for, but it's late and I need to go to bed soon to gather my strength for shopping tomorrow.

In other news, I cooked my first Thanksgiving feast today. I made way too much, but it all turned out so good. I'm quite pleased with my turkey in particilar. Last night when I got home from work, I made a brine with 16 cups water, 1 cup bourbon, 1 cup salt, 2 bay leaves, handful of peppercorns in a big bagand let the turket soak in that until I got up this morning. Then I took it out of it's brine, dried it off, stuffed it with onion, celery, garlic and carrotts, trussed it up, seasoned it with a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, slathered it with some softened butter and baked it at 375 degrees for 4 hours. It was so juicy and flavorful!! YUM!!!!

Craft wise I haven't been doing so hot. I just haen't been able to find the time. I get up in the morning knit a few rows, go to work, come home and I usually so tired that I fall asleep before I can get started. It's pretty frustrating. I still haven't gotten that darn bag finished that I making as a Christmas gift. I'm going to make it though, even if I have to pull a few late nights on the weekends. Sleep is overrated, right?

No comments: